I just got back from a trip where I traveled to Germany, Italy, Croatia, Israel, Palestine, Greece, Turkey and Egypt. Obviously, getting great pictures on my trips are at the top of the list of importance. So I had to decide what to pack for very different places and what could be very different shooting in each place.
I wanted a backpack, and one with a waist strap to help lighten the weight on my shoulders and back. I tend to be of the opinion of why have gear if you are going to leave it at home and it does no good at home. But I don’t want to carry 300lbs of gear, either. Also, I needed to change planes in Europe, and they have different standard of how big a bag is. Like their cars, their bag limits are much smaller than in America and much more strictly enforced.
I actually tweeted a question to @thinktankphoto as to what I should pack and they said the Think Tank StreetWalker HD but posted it to their facebook fan page as well to get other ThinkTank User’s opinions. Thanks, ThinkTank for having such great customer service!
So here is how I packed.
1. Canon 85mm 1.2L II – When talking about the best portrait lenses, the conversation begins and ends with the 85L.
3. Canon 580EX II – The best flash Canon makes.
4. Lexar Firewire 800 Compact Flash Card Readers. These are no longer made as things evolve to USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt, but I have them and love them.
7. Elinchrom Quadra Cable – Connects the Quadra to the head.
8. Black Rapid Strap – Saves my back. Crosses my body instead of pulling on my neck.
9. Western Digital 1TB Hard Drives – Back up back up back up back up back up.
10. Elinchrom Skyport Transmitter – I can control the power output of my Quadra with this. GREAT transmitter.
11. Elinchrom Quadra A-Head – A head = awesome head. Or something.
12. Elinchrom Quadra – LOVE My Quadra. I need to do a whole blog post on this.
13. Canon 24-105mm F/4L IS – I’m a big prime user, but for walking around, this is a fantastic lens. Very sharp.
14. Canon 35mm 1.4L – THE photojournalist’s lens. Great for nearly everything. Fast, light, sharp.
15. Canon 14mm 2.8L II – When you need to get wide, this is the best solution. Make sure you don’t get your camera in the picture. Ok, maybe not that wide, but close.
16. Canon 45mm 2.8 Tilt-Shift – Mainly for architecture, but there are some interesting effects you can get.
17. ThinkTank Pixel Pocket Rocket – My favorite compact flash card holder. It can hold 10 cards easily. More if you abuse it.
18. Ten 16GIG 400X Transcend Compact Flash Cards. – I only have the Pixel Pocket Rocket hold ten cards. These cards are fast, big and cheap. Who says you can only have two of three?
19. ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive – The bag to hold it all.
20. 15″ MacBook Pro – It is pretty much attached to my hip when my fingers aren’t on it.
21. My last Allegra pill. – I hate allergies.
Think Tank Steroid Speed Belt – Get the weight off my back and on my hips.
So that is how and what I packed for my trip. It was very heavy, but I’d rather burn a few extra calories than not have the right thing for the right shot.
I will post my pics from the various stops over the next couple weeks.